WILL PEST CONTROL HURT DOGS? (CORNELIUS EXTERMINATORS)

WILL PEST CONTROL HURT DOGS? (CORNELIUS EXTERMINATORS)

WILL PEST CONTROL HURT DOGS?

(CORNELIUS EXTERMINATORS)

Our beloved dogs are considered part of the family already.   Kids consider them as their “children”. They feed them, sleep with them, play with them, and even clothe them.  And when our dogs pass away, we mourn for them just like any other loved one.  

Pets, especially dogs, give us so much joy in our lives.  Their caring, loving, and friendly nature can endear them even to the most hardened criminals, so to speak.  So much so that there are dogs that are taken to various hospitals, care homes, and orphanages to help in the therapy of patients, seniors, and orphans.   At home, nothing beats having your pooch be the first to excitedly greet you after a hard day’s work, giving you a joyful lick and an embrace and that loving stare.  Truly, dogs love unconditionally no matter what your personal circumstances are; rich or poor, you are his master and he loves you!

I believe that the feeling is mutual.  For this reason, dogs truly deserve – and get –  our love and care. We do not allow anything to touch them that could harm them.  Yet when we spray insecticides, especially chemically made ones, we may inadvertently be harming them.  This presents a pesticide conundrum: do we forego using pesticides and just tolerate the presence of pests in order to save our dogs?  Is there any other way to get rid of pests so our dogs may live? If you, just like any other pet owners, are confused, then let us help you answer your questions.  

The dangers of pesticide poisoning

Most pesticides that are bought in the stores are made with chemical substances.  The purpose of these is of course to kill insects that negatively affect daily human activities.  Pesticides are designed to attract, entice, and exterminate these unwanted visitors such as bugs, fungi, larvae, plants, and bacteria to your households or gardens.  

Pesticides are used around the house, in garages, gardens, yards, plants, and farms. Therefore, there will be a huge possibility that dogs will come into contact with these dangerous chemicals.  Unfortunately, we cannot really train our dogs on how to avoid them. Poisoning can occur as a consequence.  

There would not be much of a problem if your dog comes into contact with a very small amount of these chemicals.  A whiff of spray from a can is okay even if irritation occurs. Your dog can simply shrug it off. However, poisoning may occur if your pet ingests a heavy dose of it; he or she will show signs of distress.  

Pesticide poisoning is a common occurrence because its use is very common in homes and outdoors.  

Types of pesticide

There are several types of pesticides, and each one can be very harmful to your dogs. These are:

  1. Insecticides – These are used to kill insects.
  2. Herbicides – These are used for killing unwanted plants.
  3. Rodenticides – For killing rats and mice.
  4. Fungicides – These are used for killing fungi.
  5. Larvicides – Used for killing mosquitoes or larvae.
  6. Bactericides –  Used for killing bacteria. 

As we can see, all pesticides do is to kill.  Imagine these getting near your pets, and it could be distressing.  

Harmful ingredients in insecticides 

Pesticides have plenty of ingredients that are harmful and may cause long-term cognitive issues.  Not to worry, you can avoid buying these pesticides by checking the label. It should not contain any of these ingredients.  

  • Amitraz
  • Acephate
  • Carbofuran
  • Chlorpyrifos
  • Diazinon
  • Disulfoton
  • Fenoxycarb
  • Fonofos
  • Malathion
  • Methomyl
  • Parathion
  • Permethrin
  • Propoxur
  • Terbufos
  • Tetrachlorvinphos

Signs of pesticide poisoning in dogs

 Pesticide poisoning affects dogs by:

  • Affecting the dog’s central nervous system negatively
  • Inhibiting the enzymes of the central nervous system
  • Causing chemical burns on the skin, mouth, or eyes
  • Negatively affecting the enzymes of other organ systems, like the liver, kidneys, and heart.

Symptoms of pesticide poisoning in dogs

There are many different kinds of symptoms to watch out for since there are many types of symptoms that are related to poisoning.  Since one thing your dog cannot do for you is to talk, you will just have to watch for these signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Distress
  • Excessive drooling
  • Confusion
  • Excessive drinking
  • Lethargy
  • Rapid breathing
  • Dilation of pupils
  • Rapid breathing
  • Dilation of pupils
  • Seizures
  • Skin rash
  • Coma
  • Burns on the skin
  • Skin irritations
  • Scratching of the face and eyes

Worst is it may result in your dog’s death

Diagnosing  pesticide poisoning in dogs

Take your dog to a veterinarian if you suspect him having pesticide poisoning.  Inform your vet about your dog’s possible contact with pesticides even if you are not 100% sure.  This way, your vet will know where to start, and what courses of action he should take, be it for diagnosis or treatment.  

To diagnose, the vet will do a complete exam.  This includes urinalysis, blood tests, and a biochemistry profile. The vet will also test your dog’s electrolyte levels.  The biochemistry profile would be used to analyze the functions of your dog’s kidney, pancreas, liver, and sugar processes.  The tests for the electrolyte levels to make sure that he is not being dehydrated as a result of the poisoning. Even if you are sure that your dog is experiencing pesticide poisoning, your vet would still conduct the tests, but he can immediately proceed with the treatment as he is waiting on the results of the tests.  

Tips on how to reduce the risks of pesticide poisoning on pets

Despite the health dangers of pesticides, we know you cannot put off using them to kill pests.  After all, it is your health that would be put on the balance with the presence of pests. Aside from them being a nuisance at home, some of the common household pests like mosquitoes, roaches, rats, and mice transmit deadly diseases.  This is why people cannot avoid using pesticides.  

The best thing you can do is to ensure that your dog is protected.  Here are a few ways you can reduce the risks of pesticide poisoning.  

  1. Before you begin applying pesticides, remove your dog from the area you will be putting pesticides on.  Also, remove their food bowls, toys, chew bones, and bedding from the said area.  
  2. Rat, mice, or gopher baits use food ingredients to make them attractive to these pests.  Unfortunately, this may also attract a hungry dog. Though this may be difficult, place the bait in places where your dog cannot reach it.  Burying it under the soil would not work, as pets dig them up. 
  3. Keep your dogs away from the areas with pesticides until you are sure that the chemicals are completely dry.  Make sure the area is well-ventilated.  
  4. Outdoors, the neighbor’s pesticide may unintentionally drift into your lawn.  To prevent this, simply communicate with you about their pesticide use. That way you can prevent incidents of your dog accidentally getting in contact or even ingesting pesticides.  
  5. Always read and follow the label.  
  6. If you hire a pest control company, be sure to ask if their products are pet-friendly.  Get a pest control professional like Lake Norman Pest Control so you can be sure that your dogs will be safe.  

Treatment of pesticide poisoning on pets

Treatment would depend on what type of pesticide was ingested.  The veterinarian would also take into account the severity of the condition.  Treatment may include the following:

  • Drugs – Different kinds of medicines may be needed, and it would depend on the type of pesticide that was ingested.  
  • Emesis – The vet may induce vomiting if the pesticide that was ingested was not a hydrocarbon.  Make sure it is not hydrocarbon, since if the dog is made to vomit hydrocarbon, aspiration to the lungs and other damage may happen/
  • Removal of residueBathing would be needed if your dog gets into contact with pesticides through its skin.  Your vet will use a special shampoo or detergent to remove the pesticide effectively.
  • IV fluids and oxygen therapy   If your dog is dehydrated, IV fluids may be given.  Oxygen therapy is for assisting the dog with breathing during respiratory distress. 
  • Activated charcoal – This may be given to absorb the toxic chemicals the dog may have ingested that may have been left over after vomiting.  This will prevent the poison from entering the dog’s system.  

Recovery for the dog would depend on his response to the treatment, the response time,  and what kind of pesticide he ingested.  

If you have pests in your house, you would have to act quickly.  Pests are possible disease transmitters and can also do damage to your property.  If you have pets, your best choice would be the best exterminators killing bugs since 1959 in Lake Norman and Cornelius there is, the Lake Norman Pest Control.  

Lake Norman Pest Control is a family-owned company with excellent experience in getting rid of all kinds of pests for the residents of Cornelius.  They have a team of highly trained and highly skilled professionals who can get rid of your pests like mosquitoes, roaches, rats, mice, and bed bugs.  We only use family-friendly and pet-friendly methods, so you can be sure that your family and your beloved pets are safe as we treat your home.  

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*