PEST – BORNE DISEASES: ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPOTTED FEVER
March is almost over, and what does that mean? Well, it could mean many things for many people, but for some, it means summer is just a few weeks away!
Summer has always been more about going outdoors for some fun, and that is perfectly fine. There are just a few things to consider. The sun will be scorching hot, so do not forget to grab all the things that you have to protect yourself from the sun: umbrellas, sun visor, lotions, etc.
Summer season is tick season
It is also that time of the year when ticks start to appear. If you decide to do away with the beach this summer and go out in the woods instead, there is a big chance you might encounter these tiny creatures. Be careful, because ticks are capable of transmitting diseases, one of which is the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. If you feel threatened ticks, we do have pest experts in Cornelius, the best of which is Lake Norman Pest Control Company.
What is the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? What are the signs and symptoms?
The Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is a bacterial disease caused by the bite of an infected tick. If not treated early, it can be deadly. First reported cases of this disease was way back in the 1920s.
Early symptoms for this disease include fever, headache, rash, nausea, muscle pain, lack of appetite, stomach pain, and nausea. If left untreated, this could progress to a potentially life-threatening disease.
If you find yourself having these symptoms, see your healthcare provider. Remember to tell your doctor that you suspect having bitten by ticks, or that you went to places where ticks can be found. This will help the doctor make an informed decision as to the kind of tests you have to undergo and the kind of treatment you may have to undergo. Blood testing may be required to check for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Doctors will probably advise treatment with antibiotic doxycycline for patients of all ages. This treatment needs to be administered in the early stages of the illness.
There is no vaccine for the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Prevention is through getting rid of ticks.
Ticks live in wooded, grassy, or brushy areas. If you love going to the great outdoors, you have to take precautions to avoid getting bitten by fleas. Here are some tips on how to protect you and your loved ones from these fleas:
- Before going outdoors, treat your clothing and gears with products containing Permethrin. Permethrin lasts a long time, even after a few pieces of washing.
- Use the Environmental Protection Agency – registered insect repellents. Look for one that contains the ingredient DEET for a higher level of protection. For babies 2 months or younger, DO NOT apply insect repellents.
- When you get home after outdoor activity, immediately check for ticks on your clothing and on your body. Remove any ticks found on your clothing and wash clothes immediately using hot water.
- Shower as soon as you get home. Check your whole body for ticks using a mirror. If you find ticks on your skin, remove using a tweezer.
- Cut grasses and remove leaf litter in your yard to prevent tick infestation.
If you feel overwhelmed by ticks, you can call in the pest experts in Cornelius NC. Lake Norman Pest Control is the name to trust.
Lake Norman Pest Control has been in the business for more than 50 years and has earned the trust of locals and businesses alike. Absolutely nothing compares.
For more information about pest control, or to set an appointment, just call 704-663-6440.