PEST – BORNE DISEASES: DENGUE FEVER
The dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease that is both painful and debilitating, and possibly life-threatening. It is caused by one of four viruses. It is the number one cause of illnesses and deaths in tropical and subtropical countries. Throughout the world, the estimated number of infections number from 390 to 400 million. Most cases occur in tropical countries like Africa, Mexico, Pacific Islands, Taiwan, Philippines, and Central and South America.
Even if not on the list, the United States is still vulnerable due to the fact that travel to these countries is common. A U.S. resident who travels to a South American country and gets bitten by a mosquito could go back home infected with the virus. If a mosquito in the U.S. bites this traveler, then that mosquito can spread the virus instantly.
So, for residents of Mooresville, it is necessary to provide mosquito control in North Carolina to safeguard people against this deadly disease.
Signs and symptoms
The symptoms begin to show 3 to 6 days after being infected. These include sudden high fever that lasts for 2 to 7 days. Other symptoms are vomiting, severe abdominal pain, severe headaches, pain behind the eyes, difficulty breathing, nausea, skin rash, black and tarry stool, bleeding nose or gum, and a tendency to bruise easily.
For now, there is no specific treatment for dengue fever. If you suspect infection, take pain medication like acetaminophen, but avoid aspirin. Aspirin could worsen bleeding. Rest and drink plenty of fluids. And of course, consult a physician. If after 24 hours you feel worse, then you should go to a hospital and have yourself checked there.
Home Remedy for Prevention
Vaccines for dengue is still in the works. The best form of prevention is to avoid mosquito bites. Here are some of the ways you can prevent mosquitoes from biting you or your family:
- Remove standing water. Female adult mosquitoes look fo stagnant water to lay their eggs. Throw away old items like old tires, old plastic containers, used cans, pet and animal watering containers, old gutters, and similar items. Cover water storage barrels. Check the water in flower vases and clean it at least once a week.
- As much as possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants to protect yourself from the bites.
- Use the Environmental Protection Agency – approved insect repellents with DEET for added protection.
- Use air conditioning when you are indoors. In the absence of an air conditioner, you can also use an electric fan, mosquitoes bodies are very light, and they do not like being hit by strong winds.
- If someone in your home has dengue, be careful not to have the patient get bitten by a mosquito again. Remember, a mosquito gets infected with the dengue virus if it bites an infected human.
The Best Prevention
The best mosquito control services in Mooresville is the total eradication of mosquito through the help of pest professionals. Call Lake Norman Pest Control Company to help you get rid of the mosquitoes. The company uses state – of the- art equipment and a family – friendly and pet – friendly method of extermination. Lake Norman Pest Control Company is friendly, reliable, and highly professional.