HOW TO GET RID OF COCKROACHES IN YOUR HOME
The cockroaches are known as perhaps the most loathsome of all creatures. If you see garbage, spoiled food, fecal matter, dead animals, or even dead cockroaches, they are there, feeding on filth. They are present in restaurants, hospitals, offices, warehouses, and our homes. They are not only a nuisance, but they also contaminate food and utensils.
Cockroaches are also among the most primitive creatures on this planet. Their ability to regenerate their body parts is astounding and is a big reason for their survival. If they lose their legs or limbs, they can get them back in a few months. Cockroaches have flat, oval bodies, long antennae, and a shiny outer protective layer that is black or brown in color.
How harmful are cockroaches?
Cockroaches carry diverse pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and pathogenic helminths. This makes them dangerous to human health as they can transmit diseases. If humans consume food contaminated by cockroaches, it can cause food poisoning, enteritis, bacteremia, Urinary Tract Infection, diarrhea, and other infections. Contamination is through direct contact with roach droppings, saliva, or urine.
Once inside your homes, they feed on your food, destroy paper and fabric, and leave stains on surfaces they get in contact with. Outside the home, they feed on dead animals, faecal matter, and other garbage. Simply put, they are the dirtiest creatures on this planet.
There are four types of cockroaches in the U.S.: the American cockroach, German cockroach, brown – banded cockroach, and the Oriental cockroach.
What are the bacteria found in cockroaches that make them so dangerous?
Why are they so dangerous? Here are some of the reasons:
Escherichia Coli – Cause diarrhea and wound infections.
Pseudomonas – causes respiratory problems and gastroenteritis
Salmonella – causes gastroenteritis and food poisoning.
Salmonella typhi – causes typhoid fever
Serratia- causes food poisoning
Staphylococcus aureus – causes wound and skin infections,
Staphylococcus epidermalis – causes wound infections
Streptococcus faecalis – causes pneumonia
Then how can we get rid of these cockroaches?
There are some ways we can get rid of roaches, thus eliminating the possibility of contracting these diseases:
- Maintain cleanliness around the house. As we said earlier, cockroaches thrive in filth. Regularly dispose of your trash to eliminate one of their food sources.
- Make sure to put a lid on your trash cans. Roaches eat whatever, wherever.
- Do not leave unwashed dishes on the sink. Sometimes, we are too lazy to wash the dishes, leaving them off until the morning. But this practice is perfect for the roaches, as they feed on the leftover food that is on these unwashed dishes.
- Seal off cracks and crevices. Survey your entire house for any cracks or openings and seal them off. These are potential entry points for the cockroaches.
- Insecticides can also do the trick. You can make your own at home, or simply buy one from your local store.
If you need professional help, then there is Lake Norman Pest Control Company. This pest exterminator company that has earned the trust of local homeowners and businesses alike. They have been in operation since 1959.